Pavlova is a fantastic summer pudding and if you’re feeding a lot of people, really easy to increase the ingredients and make a bigger one! Also, everyone always has leftover egg white in their fridge and this is a great way to use it up!
Serves 6 – 8
- 4 Eggs, whites only
- 200g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 ball Stem Ginger, rinsed well
- 300ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Dark, spiced rum
- 2 Ripe mangoes, diced
- 2 Limes
- 1 handful of Fresh mint
- 1 tbsp Desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 150 C (fan) and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Ensure that the stem ginger has been rinsed and dried thoroughly before finely dicing it. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks with an electric whisk.
- Add 1 tbsp of caster sugar to the whisked egg whites, which will soften the mixture, so whisk back to stiff peaks. Repeat this process until 4 tbsps of the sugar have been added in this way. This partially stabilises the egg whites.
- Now add the remaining sugar in two parts, ensuring that the meringue is whisked back to stiff peaks after each addition.
- Add the cornflour, vanilla and vinegar and whisk until just combined.
- Carefully fold the stem ginger into the mixture and then immediately tip out onto your prepared baking sheet. Spread the mixture out into a circle about 2 inches thick.
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until the outside is crisp and the meringue comes away from the paper. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the mango with the zest of both limes and the juice of one, the coconut and the mint.
- Whisk the cream, rum and icing sugar until the cream is just holding its shape – it shouldn’t be too firm.
- Place the meringue onto your serving plate carefully and spoon the cream on top, spreading it to the edges. Sprinkle the mango salsa over the top evenly until you have a thick layer of mango covering the cream.